I’m planning to enterprise into okra farming. Kindly advise on the enterprise. Evans
Okra is a herbaceous annual plant that’s grown for its edible seed pods. It has small erect stems that may be bristly or hairless with heart-shaped leaves. They’ll develop as much as 1.2-1.8m tall and as an annual plant, it survives just one season. It’s often known as girl’s fingers.
Okra’s younger seed pods are eaten recent or cooked as vegetable whereas dry seeds are utilized in oil extraction. Okra is a heat-loving plant that may do effectively in a greenhouse or sizzling areas.
Soil: It requires well-drained, mild sandy to medium loams. The soil ought to be of excessive natural matter. The pH ought to vary between 5.Eight and 6.8.
Temperature: It ought to be grown in areas with excessive daylight and grows in sizzling temperatures of at the very least 18.3°C.
Propagation: Okra is propagated from seeds and planted immediately. To interrupt dormancy to boost germination, seeds are soaked in water along with optimiser in a single day earlier than planting.
Spacing: It’s planted in rows spaced at 60x45cm or 60×30cm.
Charges: Okra seed charge is 18 to 20kg/hectare for summer season crop and 10 to 12kg for wet season’s crop.
Thinning: Do it at a spacing of 15-22.5cm when they’re 4 to 6 weeks outdated to cut back the ultimate plant stand.
Upkeep: Okra requires moist soils. Water ought to be utilized at a charge relying on evapotranspiration in a sizzling space, however in cooler climates, it requires much less water because it tends to chill the plant limiting the expansion.
Fertiliser utility: Apply 220 kilogrammes along with Humipower at a charge of 1kg/50kg of fertiliser to cut back soil acidity, and enhance soil construction. Effectively-composted manure can do effectively at one debe (tin) per 4m2. In case of chemical fertiliser, rooster manure may be unfold on the farm every week earlier than planting.
Weed management: Shallow cultivation can assist management weeds after they emerge between crop rows. Cultivation is the simplest weed management methodology when correctly timed.
Harvesting: Okra pods are prepared for harvesting two months after planting.
I would really like recommendation on tips on how to make income from my one acre. For now, I solely plant maize. John
You’ll be able to strive vegetable farming. Tomatoes, onions, capsicum, carrots, cucumbers, watermelon, chillies, cabbage, kales, indigenous greens comparable to amaranthus, spider plant, cowpea, and black nightshade.
Cautious planning of structure and manufacturing ought to be subsequent. In planning a vegetable farm, the next should be thought-about:
• Resolve on what to develop. This may rely on the demand, market and local weather.
• Resolve on which system you’re going to use e.g. open vs. protected.
• Bear in mind roads, irrigation pipelines or buildings are concerned, thus if sited wrongly, such objects can be troublesome and costly to shift.
• Work out the rotation plan to be adopted and particulars of the cropping plan. This ought to be early.
• The price of clearing and getting ready land have to be thought-about.
• You will need to plan for labour.
• If fencing or windbreak is required, resolve on the kind and materials.
• Resolve on the placement of the compost space and whether or not you will have a heap or pit.
It’s vital to supply a spot for the disposal of natural particles and in addition serves as a supply of natural matter.
It’s near the nursery, in an space which is unsuitable for crop manufacturing.
• For a nursery siting/space. Mild shade are most well-liked. You may additionally construct a lath home.
Ideally, nursery space ought to be at most two per cent of complete space.
May also have to resolve on the kind of nursery to make use of: seedbed or containerised. If seedbed, elevate, flat or sunken.
• Irrigation and distribution methodology: Resolve whether or not irrigation can be wanted. If sure, resolve on the system for use and the water supply.
I need to be taught extra about beef feedlot system. Please advise. Michael
Within the feedlot system, beef animals are targeting a farm with the principle goal being fattening them for the market.
On this system, beef animals are consumed high-protein meals, given clear water on a regular basis and all administration practices for the animals put in place.
The meat breeds embody The Ankole (bos taurus indicus), East African shorthorn Zebu (bos indicus), Angus, Charolais, Hereford, Simmental, Shorthorn, Sahiwal and Boran.